DJI has sent a letter to a Senate subcommittee in response to “inaccurate claims” made last week by witnesses in regards to the Chinese language producer’s knowledge security.
On June 18, the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Subcommittee on Safety hearing befell, entitled “Drone Security: Enhancing Innovation and Mitigating Supply Chain Risks.”
Harry Wingo of Nationwide Protection College advised the Senate Committee that the Chinese that by means of DJI, “American geospatial information is flown to Chinese data centers at an unprecedented level. This literally gives a Chinese company a view from above of our nation.”
He continued: “DJI says that American data is safe, but its use of proprietary software networks means how would we know.”
A number of government businesses and US public safety organizations rely on DJI know-how. Wingo stated, “When you consider protecting a U.S. city at that level, to hand that information over is concerning.”
DJI’s VP and regional manager of North America, Mario Rebello, has at the moment responded to what DJI has labelled ‘incorrect speculation about the company’s knowledge safety practices’.
He writes: “the unsubstantiated speculation and inaccurate information presented during [the] Subcommittee hearing will put the entire U.S. drone industry at risk, causing a ripple effect that will stunt economic growth and handcuff public servants who use DJI drones to protect the public and save lives.”
The letter also says, “DJI drones do not share flight logs, photos or videos unless the drone pilot deliberately chooses to do so. They do not automatically send flight data to China or anywhere else. They do not automatically transmit photos or videos over the internet. This data stays solely on the drone and on the pilot’s mobile device. DJI cannot share customer data it never receives.”
Different key points from the letter embrace:
- The US drone business is experiencing speedy progress, partially due to the foundational applied sciences established by DJI: “DJI has played a central role in advancing the societal benefits of drone technology while working collaboratively with government, industry, and research experts to safely integrate drones into our airspace and set industry standards for data security and privacy.”
- The China connection is overstated: “The security of a company’s products depends on the safeguards it employs, not where its headquarters is located.”
- Increased adoption by public security organizations is proof of drone know-how’s worth: “DJI drones are also the preferred choice of state and local public safety agencies which need the most reliable drones for literal life-or-death situations.”
- DJI has immediately invested in the US financial system: “DJI has also invested directly in innovation created in America, with our Silicon Valley research and development facility located in Palo Alto, which employs 14 engineers, some of the more than 150 employees across five offices in the United States, making DJI one of the largest direct employers of Americans in the civilian drone industry.”
- DJI is doing all it may possibly to hold consumer knowledge protected: “Because our users are in control of their data, the security of their data is firmly in their hands.”
Read extra: Drones, Knowledge and Safety: DJI’s Mario Rebello Meets the Problem Head On at InterDrone
The great response from DJI comes on the identical day as the corporate’s launch of Government Version, an answer developed with sensitive government ops in mind.
Read the complete text of DJI’s letter to the Subcommittee under
Pricey Chairman Wicker, Rating Member Cantwell, Chairman Sullivan and Rating Member Markey,
On behalf of DJI Know-how Inc., we submit this letter for the document in connection with the June 18, 2019 U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Subcommittee on Security listening to entitled “Drone Security: Enhancing Innovation and Mitigating Supply Chain Risks.”
As a result of the drone business is turning into an increasingly crucial engine for small American businesses as well as all the U.S. financial system, it’s important that selections affecting key elements of the business are based mostly on reality. We’re deeply concerned that, left unchecked, the unsubstantiated hypothesis and inaccurate info introduced during your Subcommittee hearing will put all the U.S. drone business in danger, inflicting a ripple effect that may stunt financial progress and handcuff public servants who use DJI drones to shield the public and save lives.
The U.S. drone business is experiencing speedy progress, helping U.S. staff, entrepreneurs, government businesses, and first responders promote employee safety, spur innovation, help very important operations, and save lives. As a worldwide know-how company, and the world’s leading civilian drone manufacturer, DJI has played a central position in advancing the societal advantages of drone know-how whereas working collaboratively with authorities, business, and analysis specialists to safely integrate drones into our airspace and set business standards for knowledge safety and privateness.
DJI invented the product class of highly succesful off-the-shelf quadcopters that may be simply used for business purposes with the Phantom collection over six years in the past. It’s no surprise that in 2019, DJI leads the market that it invented. Since that point, we’ve pushed speedy innovation to provide the most effective life-saving instruments at engaging worth factors. As a result of DJI has pushed know-how limits to develop best-in-class hardware shortly, we’ve enabled American innovation, job creation, and financial progress in drone software and providers. As we’ve made drone know-how accessible and reasonably priced, greater than 1 million individuals have registered their civilian drones in the U.S., and more than 122,000 FAA-licensed pilots operate commercially.
We consider business and government have a shared duty to construct on this momentum and maintain our skies open for protected and secure commerce and innovation. Unfortunately, some witnesses who appeared earlier than the Subcommittee want to restrict competitors, innovation, and the supply of drone know-how based mostly solely on its country of origin. To bolster their desired end result relating to a product’s country of origin, they resorted to offering highly speculative dangers and inaccurate information about knowledge transmission functionality.
DJI Clients Have Full Management Of Their Knowledge
This hypothesis about DJI’s know-how is just fallacious. To be clear:
• DJI drones do not share flight logs, pictures or movies until the drone pilot intentionally chooses to achieve this. They don’t mechanically send flight knowledge to China or anyplace else. They do not mechanically transmit photographs or movies over the internet. This knowledge stays solely on the drone and on the pilot’s cellular system. DJI can’t share buyer knowledge it never receives.
• DJI’s professional pilot app has a built-in setting to disconnect all internet connection, as an extra precaution for pilots performing delicate flights. In contrast to some know-how corporations, DJI doesn’t promote or monetize buyer knowledge.
• DJI embeds password and knowledge encryption options in the design of our products. This supplies clients with secure access to the drone and its onboard knowledge. In instances when U.S. drone customers do choose to share their knowledge, it is just uploaded to U.S. cloud servers.
• DJI operates a worldwide Bug Bounty Program so the world’s security researchers can determine unforeseen security issues, and we rent unbiased security specialists to check our merchandise. These are just a number of the steps we take to guarantee high-security customers they will use our merchandise with confidence.
As the Subcommittee knows, the security of an organization’s products is dependent upon the safeguards it employs, not the place its headquarters is situated. To offer our authorities clients with further knowledge privateness assurance, this week we’re releasing our DJI Authorities Version drone system. DJI Government Version can’t access the web and solely stores info on the gadget.
Which means if a authorities worker have been to make a mistake in knowledge management protocol, and even intentionally attempt to send drone knowledge to DJI or elsewhere, no knowledge will probably be transmitted. This is our most safe drone system and is designed to meet the U.S. government’s rigorous security expectations. DJI has worked with the U.S. Department of the Interior since 2017 to develop this technique, which has passed two phases of testing to “meet Interior’s UAS data management and risk mitigation requirements with respect to encrypted control and payload links, and enterprise level managed data sharing controls.”
DJI can also be happy with the current U.S. Division of Homeland Security (DHS) steerage for mitigating knowledge management danger in sensitive missions, which aligns with the safety practices DJI has enabled. Our international staff of engineers proactively carried out these measures based mostly on our partnerships with public safety businesses, personal operators of crucial infrastructure, and even the U.S. federal authorities. We have now publicly referred to as on all producers to undertake the measures outlined by DHS and remain open to any additional recommendations that may assist us proceed to empower our end users to better safeguard their knowledge.
DJI Merchandise Help American Companies And Government Businesses
Main American companies trust DJI drones to promote worker security, shield crucial infrastructure, keep their gear, and hold their info protected. American Airways technicians have examined using DJI drones to inspect plane. Federal Categorical is utilizing DJI drones at Memphis International Airport in quite a lot of aviation security purposes, as part of the united statesIntegration Pilot Program. Hensel Phelps crews use DJI drones to survey circumstances and improve safety on complicated development websites. Southern Company staff pilot DJI drones to examine energy strains and assess storm injury. These corporations and lots of others built their drone packages on DJI platforms after rigorously evaluating drones from a number of manufacturers based mostly on value, performance, reliability and safety.
DJI drones are also the preferred selection of state and local public security businesses which need probably the most dependable drones for literal life-or-death situations. For example:
• The New York Metropolis Police Division used a DJI drone to monitor a man who barricaded himself in an condo on a busy Brooklyn nook this spring. When officers talked the person into surrendering, they used the drone to confirm he had set his gun down earlier than tactical models approached him.
• In February, police in Fremont, California used a brand-new DJI drone model with an built-in FLIR thermal imaging digital camera to discover an emotionally troubled deaf boy. He had run away from faculty and was hiding in a darkish subject at night time, but officers noticed his body warmth with the drone’s digital camera and have been in a position to rescue him.
• Just last week, recreation wardens in Coleman County, Texas used a DJI drone with a FLIR thermal imaging digital camera to find two kayakers lacking alongside a rural river after dark. Looking each side of a half-mile of river would have taken all night time on foot, however the drone found them in 14 minutes. More than 250 individuals have been rescued from peril by drones around the globe, lots of them DJI drones.
DJI Creates Worth For The American Financial system
Because the search-and-rescue incidents above indicate, DJI’s partnership with the American sensor firm FLIR Techniques, Inc. has helped save lives whereas accelerating FLIR’s attain into aerial know-how and enabling its progress in this new subject. It’s considered one of many examples of how DJI’s hardware methods have created opportunity, progress and public benefits for People.
DJI’s drone platforms are serving to entrepreneurs at U.S. corporations like Measure, PrecisionHawk, DroneDeploy, and DroneBase build revolutionary companies and develop new software program purposes that spur investment in America and help the creation of hundreds of American jobs. DJI estimates along with our U.S. partners we’ve driven $1 billion in U.S. financial exercise. This evolution is analogous to that of other shopper electronics technologies, together with smartphones and moveable computers, which might be manufactured in China but enable American corporations to build strong, lucrative software and service ecosystems.
Within the coming years, business drone use is predicted to triple, the U.S. drone financial system is about to surpass $82 billion, and the drone financial system will create greater than 100,000 jobs. That’s excellent news for American drone manufacturers: As Brian Wynne, President and CEO of the Association for Unmanned Car Methods Worldwide (AUVSI), informed your Subcommittee, “The United States has developed more unique UAS platforms than any other country, and nearly twice as many as the second-largest UAS-producing country. It also has more than triple the number of manufacturers in comparison, with 44 states having at least one UAS manufacturer.”
But hardware is a smaller a part of the drone financial system than software, knowledge analysis and drone providers – fields which might be led by American corporations. We rely greater than 13,000 American corporations as builders on DJI’s Software Improvement Kits, together with the business’s main drone mapping answer, San Francisco-based DroneDeploy. The software program purposes created by these builders are distributed or bought on the iOS and Android cellular platforms developed by Apple and Google, and allow revenue streams to circulate instantly from the drone customers to these builders.
DJI has additionally invested instantly in innovation created in America, with our Silicon Valley analysis and improvement facility situated in Palo Alto, which employs 14 engineers, a few of the more than 150 staff throughout five workplaces in america, making DJI one of many largest direct employers of People within the civilian drone business.
DJI Improvements Assist America Enter The Drone Age Safely
DJI takes our duty as the worldwide drone chief very significantly. Over the previous several years, we now have proactively led the business in creating drone security know-how similar to geofencing, remote identification, collision avoidance and obligatory pilot information testing, even when there isn’t any requirement to achieve this. We now have mentioned these many security features with Commerce Committee members and employees, and in our testimony before the Committee during its drone hearing on March 15, 2017. Simply as we now have led the business on safety, we’re committed to being the business chief on knowledge stewardship, by offering one of the best, most secure, and most secure drone know-how for our clients. Because our users are answerable for their knowledge, the security of their knowledge is firmly in their arms.
DJI believes every individual, enterprise and government company ought to have access to probably the most protected, dependable and secure know-how. As you form the principles that may govern drone know-how, we urge Congress to assess the details and advance policies that may promote innovation, financial progress, safety, and public safety.
We are completely happy to reply any questions the Subcommittee might have.
Vice President and Regional Manager, North America
DJI Know-how Inc.
Malek Murison is a contract writer and editor with a passion for tech developments and innovation. He handles product critiques, major releases and retains an eye fixed on the fanatic market for DroneLife.
E mail Malek
Subscribe to DroneLife here.